I modelled some door panels after a picture I found online for the Blazer. I searched google for ’86 Chevy Blazer door panels. I looked at a few options but chose this one. It seemed to match the look and feel of my semi-sporty styled exterior.
It is pretty straight forward in terms of modelling and prints flat without support. It even handles the…handle…overhang on the armrest (pictured a bit below).
The printer settings were 3 shells (walls) and 30% infill. ABS material. The extra shells give you some surface for sanding. They took 3.5 hours to print. I slept and awoke to the new parts as you see here.
I am using the same blue I used to do the exterior so there will be nice continuity there, it will be the dash colour also. This is what it looked like after sanding. Paint might fill some more of the build lines but if not it will have some texture and not look like a cast hard piece of plastic.
I may revisit this design and make some “authenticity” adjustments but for now these look like a good start. If nothing else, they will make a good practice set.
Tips for painting anything (that won’t be damaged if it gets wet):
Wash with hot soapy water, then light prime when dry (grey for these ones), then light first paint layer, then heavier layers while tacky (if you can). Spray off target and pass all the way across overlap each pass a little to make it cover evenly. Try to favour the details and the rest will get covered with light fill passes. That is my formula for paint success…that and practice pieces.
Here is the panels after spray then detailed. I am very pleased with the results. They sure do look the part and finished up nicely.
I installed them with some thin double sided tape. Doesn’t need much and it can be moved around or replaced if damaged, though I don’t see that happening.
There is another section to make for the lower portion of the door. It looks like it is made with some sort of rug. I may try to mimic it with fabric of some kind. We will see.
Next is the dash panel.